Monday, April 23, 2012

If only he would ask more about spelling...

When Xander asks why this happens or that happens, I can usually give him a good answer.  Lately though, he's been into how.  How is much harder.

Today's query, in the car: "Mommy, how does the crankshaft turn?"

Uhh...... something with gears and sprockets?

I garbled something, and whatever it was, he accepted it.  Then I had a flash of insight and turned the conversation into one about engineering.  Now he's even more excited to talk to my father when he comes to visit - Sabba's an engineer, he figures out how things work all day long!

4 comments:

Janet said...

Brilliant! Good for you, Mommy!
Bubby

Anonymous said...

I have a similar response when the kids ask anything biological in nature - "That's a great question! ... for Jane"

Michal said...

Sheryl, I love it! The only reason I didn't say, "ask Daddy," in fact, was that he's been asking a lot of those questions and I didn't him to think I was totally ignorant. :)

chanaham said...

Michal, I think it's wonderful that you could ad-lib so quickly... I'd be lost.