Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Progress

Another exam and another paper is out of the way, hooray! My next pieces are due Friday, so that gives me a little breathing room. Refua shleima to Sylvan, who just got out of surgery, and yay for the Enterprise rental company, who found my spare set of keys in the rental car I'd taken to my pulpit ("pregnancy brain" is real, I swear. I could barely remember dropping them there).

In the past few days, I have learned the following:

1) April showers do not bring May flowers in Ohio. May deluges bring about incredible lushness and possible June flowers. I have never been in so much rain in my life. And why is that Ohioans don't turn on their lights when driving in the rain? Apparently they're just used to it.

2) It is amazing who one finds on Google chat at 3am EST when one is writing papers. All my West Coast friends are still awake!

3) I have a much closer HUC community here than I'd thought. All the women in our class except one went out for breakfast after yesterday's final, and they were so supportive of all my childcare/schooling issues, I was extremely surprised. And happy. I hadn't really noticed these relationships moving from "acquaintance-ship" to "friendship," and it hit me all at once, in a great way.

4) It's still weird to have a 15-minute drive somewhere and go across the river twice. Literally, to get to some places 15 minutes from our house, we drive to Kentucky and back, because that's where the freeways lead. I'm not over it.

5) The alarm companies are very smart. They only start transmitting emergency data from your house to the police a few days after the system is installed. I hadn't realized what a good thing this is, but what do you know, there's a big learning curve in how to use an alarm system! Let's just say I've gotten really good at turning off beeping when I press the wrong things.

Now off to take the car in. The parts for our long-broken side mirror have arrived, and it shall soon be fixed. A working car, what a concept.

No comments: