Thursday, May 15, 2008

Arg!

My summer class was just cancelled! I was supposed to be taking "'The Sixties' in Jewish American Literature: Assimilation and Rebellion." We were going to read Philip Roth, Bob Dylan, Allen Ginsberg and others. But apparently I was literally the ONLY student signed up for it, so they canned it. Why didn't people want to take this course?!

Now I'm signed up for "Faith and Suffering in Jewish Interpretations of Job." I'm sure it will be educational, but you have to admit, it just doesn't sound like nearly as much fun.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

How 'bout "Faith and Suffering" in all those great authors that you won't get to study! Bah humbug.... we are the suffering people....you mean you have to take a course in it?!

Good luck with Job...
Mom's friend Peggy in South FL!

Sheryl said...

Summer is the time for lighter fluffier stuff than JOB! Oh well. If you have to study job - I would say to invest in one of those blow up pools and sit in your back yard with your feet soaking in the pool and a tall glass of iced tea ... a tall handsome guy fanning you with a palm frond ... Job is sounding better all the time ;-)

Michal said...

Peggy and Sheryl, I could not agree with you both any more! The other summer option was even worse: "Remedial Rabbinic Hebrew." Just the *thought* of spending three hours a day in class conjugating and memorizing terms (not to mention the homework) made my toes start to curl... and not in a good way!

Chana P said...

darn. That class sounded really cool... but Job sounds interesting too... Actually that is the ONE book they DON'T teach at my school because it is very controversial... So hey, maybe you could fill me in a bit? Okay. Take care and Mazal tov on the car! (Did you get it yet???)
-Chana

Michal said...

I'll bet they won't teach it! Your school doesn't seem to want to deal with the subject of theodicy. Could make you guys question Torah m'Sinai and all. :)

Nope, we're getting it next week probably. Or at least we're turning in the paperwork then. Since they're flying off the shelves we're ordering ours and won't physically get one til August.