Monday, May 26, 2008

New baby on the way!

Okay, I’m sure you’re thinking I’m talking about Wiggly, but I’m not. I’m actually referring to my new (as-of-yet-without-a-name) Mini Cooper that I ordered and that is due to arrive the first week of August. Not that I’m not excited about my unborn son, I am. It’s just that I feel I have a better idea what to get excited about with a Mini Cooper; I test-drove one and picked out every feature. There are no baby dealerships, if you can believe that. I know because I checked. Apparently you’re expected to just take whatever random kid pops out.

Anyway, we are getting a Mini Cooper S Clubman in white with black trim. The Clubman is the new model of Mini that they came out with this year. It is a tad longer with more room and a cool extra side door on the passenger side for easier entry and exit. Below is a picture of the baby-to-be. It will be assembled in Oxford, England, shipped across the pond and delivered to my dealership here in Cincinnati (that is only 4 miles away, aka, meant to be).

For more information, click here.

Now, I know what a lot of you are thinking: “Minis are so small! They can’t be safe!” In fact, the Mini is safer than 90% of the cars currently on the road. It has a 5 (out of 5) star rating for front impact and roll-over, and 4 stars for side impact. It has 6 air bags, one to protect each passenger’s chest, head, and abdomen. In addition to anti-lock brakes, it has a computer that can control the power delivery and braking on each wheel in order to prevent them from ever slipping. It also detects if your car starts to slide sideways in a turn, and it will automatically attempt to straighten it out without you doing a thing. This will be especially useful in the icy, hilly roads of Cincinnati.

But why a Mini? After all, there are other cars with similar safety features. The Mini is very unique in its design. You can see that by just looking at it, but when you start researching the features and abilities of other cars, you will realize that there is no car that achieves the same MPG, handling, acceleration, and safety in one car. None. I examined Toyotas, Hondas, and lots of other cars even way above my price range, and none can do all that the Mini can do, even for 4x the price. As I’m selling my motorcycle I need to get my adrenaline somehow!

Of course, mileage was a big concern. Only the Prius gets better gas mileage. Most hybrids don’t do as well as the Mini, and its small, extremely strong frame is a big part of that. The other reason is the BMW-designed engine that was built from the ground up with the sole purpose of getting the most power out of the least amount of fuel. It’s only 7 MPG less than the Prius, but has almost twice the power and more than twice the acceleration.

“But Jonathan, you’re over six feet tall, how will you fit?” Amazingly, the front seat has ample head and leg room. The rear seats have slightly less leg room, but still lots of head room. The only sacrifice for room is in the storage capacity, and ease of entry and exit from the back seat. Even with the extra door, people who don’t move well will have a challenge. If transport of relatives comes into play, I’ll probably pick them up in the Camry. But as I will use this car for commuting 99% of the time, I’m not worried. There is a sacrifice made with every car, and space is the least painful of them. The Camry will be the main baby-mobile.

There is an aspect of the Mini that no one can understand until you drive one. It is the most enjoyable car I have ever driven. If you ever get the chance to visit a Mini dealership, take one out for a test drive. You will never forget the experience.

I hear the same goes for having your own child. Everyone tells me that they are worth all the expense and time. Often people say they are the best thing in their life… even though there are no chrome exterior options.

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Jonathan, I really got a kick out of the your entry! I couldn't stop laughing at the line "you’re expected to just take whatever random kid pops out." Parents do hopefully get to instill some important "features" in their child and I have all the faith that you'll have a quality, high performance baby :) Much love to you and Michal, Nicole

Jonathan said...

Your comments made my day Nicole. It is so nice to know there are people that get my humor. :)

Sheryl said...

I got a chuckle out of your entry too! I especially liked "even though there are no chrome exterior options."

I'm confident that we'll get similarly lovingly detailed descriptions of the kid once it makes its appearance (be-sha'ah tovah)

Jonathan said...

Thanks Sheryl! To be honest, I think I'm hiding some of my insecurity about the baby in this humor. I really feel so helpless with this pregnancy thing. I mean, I really can't do anything or control anything with its development; it’s all in Michal's hands. At least with the Mini I feel I have some control. Some power over its destiny.

With the kid to be, I feel like I got a little note that says “thanks for your assistance; we’ll call you when we need you.”

I wonder if other dad’s to be feel the same way; that I’m just some spectator to this incredible thing.

Anonymous said...

I love Mini Coopers! I am happy to have been provided with ample ammunition to use when persuading myself to get one in the future!