Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Two and a half year-old trust

The last lines of The Cat in the Hat are something like:

[the mother asks]

"Did you have any fun?
Tell me, what did you do?

And Sally and I did not know
What to say.
Should we tell her,
The things that went on there that day?

Should we tell her about it?
Now, what should we do?

Well, what would YOU do,
If your mother asked YOU?"

[Actually I think this is the quote verbatim, I've read it enough times to know it!]

Anyway... the reason I'm posting this is because after I read the last sentence to Xander, I always turn to him and ask him what he would do.  And every single time he looks at me confused.  "Yes," he answers.  "I would tell you."  Tonight he said, "yeahhh..." with an unspoken "duh!" on the end.  It's like he's confused by the concept of the whole last page... why wouldn't you tell Mommy everything?

I think it's fabulous.  And I'm already lamenting the loss on the day that changes!  Which I know will be much sooner than I think...

1 comment:

Janet said...

I suspect you hear me sighing from California.....What a fabulous family you are.
Love,
Bubby/Mom