Friday, July 22, 2011

Heat, teething, Jews, and grammar

1) Ari's about four months old.  As of today, teething has commenced.  Pray for us.  I'm hoping against hope that Sophie the wonder giraffe is as good as her press.  So far he chomps dutifully on her ears and feet, but still cries.


2) Whenever I ask Jonathan, "what are you thinking?" I'm usually surprised.  One time he said he was thinking about how big spiders grow in comparable areas of the country.  Another time he was wondering about the ancient Roman police force; we always heard about the Legions, he said, but that was national. What, if anything, did Rome do for its own city?

On the other hand, when Jonathan asks me what I'm thinking (which I admit is rather rare, because I'm a chatterbox and usually don't give him the chance to ask), it's mostly quite boring: a grocery list, to do's for tomorrow, that kind of thing.  But last night I had paused, deep in thought, and so he asked me.  I stammered a bit, then blushed:  I had spent almost ten minutes contemplating the usage of the word "comprise" versus "comprising" in a sentence.  What were the ramifications and implications of the simple present tense versus the gerund?


3) Hooray for Obama's repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell!


4) If someone new comes into the house and Xander likes them, he gives them a tour of all his best toys.  Tonight I was puppeting Thomas the Train, and Xander was having a conversation with "Thomas" about his train set.  The conversation soon took a turn:

"Thomas, do you see this drill?  It's for fixing things.  I have a drill bit.  This is a balloon, it's for hitting.  I can hit it high. [Bangs balloon.] See it?!  It's high.   This is my colander.  It's for taking water out of spaghetti.  And for being a space hat.  [Puts colander on his head.]  This is my piano.  It's for making music.  [Bangs piano to produce a cacophony of sound.]  This is my front loader. It's for scooping dirt. [Lifts and lowers handle enthusiastically, pantomiming dirt being scooped].  This is Bear.  He's white, and big.  For cuddling!  [Hugs stuffed polar bear.]"

It went on for a few items more. It was all I could do to keep a straight face and have Thomas go "um-hm" during the pauses.



5)  This article in The Jewish Daily Forward made me sad and hopeful at the same time.  I was the last student rabbi in Mattoon, IL, but they're still going on without me.  What does it mean for a congregation to close its doors?  How much of our memories are wrapped up in places versus in ideas?  If the youth go somewhere else, but remain Jewish, can we really say that it's a loss?


Struggling To Survive

Small Jewish Communities Across the U.S. Are Fighting To Stay Afloat




6) According to the Weather Channel, it was 95 degrees today but felt like 105.  I believe it.  I stayed outside only long enough to buckle the kids in and out of the car.  It was a hot, humid swamp.  Even the preschool forbade the kids from playing outside, they had to run around indoors at the gym.  So after inwardly complaining all day about the heat... I walked inside my house and promptly got goosebumps from the air-conditioning.  Body temperature, why must you be so fickle?

1 comment:

Janet said...

What a great post!

1) Can you refrigerate like you used to do with the teething rings?

2) I loved your comments about what you and Jonathan think about. Cracked me up.

4) And I just plotzed reading the conversation Xander had with Thomas. He is such an articulate and loving person. And I was thrilled to read that 2 of his favorite toys are ones that I gave him! Go piano and Polar Bear! And good for you, Mommy, for honoring your son enough to respond respectfully.

6) You're not the only one. It can be 95 outside but why do people think the air conditioning must be set at 65 just because it's hot OUTSIDE? The same thing happens in the winter in Chicago. It's 22 outside so people set their homes at 80! Plus, remember, you're married to Jonathan who would love it if the thermostat was ALWAYS set at 60!

Love,
Mom