Saturday, November 13, 2010

Another tidbit from my student pulpit

My pulpit itself is awesome. The drive over there? Always fodder for amusement.

On Friday I bought challah in Cincinnati to bring with me. Unfortunately, I forgot it on the kitchen counter when I left. In a burst of optimism, I stopped at a Kroger's on the way to see if they had any.

Not seeing any loaves on the stand, I asked the very nice lady behind the bakery counter if they had any left. She looked confused. "Challah. A braided egg bread, for Fridays," I explained helpfully. She nodded, then looked at me curiously. "It's Jewish," I added. She peered at me from the front of her glasses, disdainfully. "HONEY," she said slowly, patronizingly, "of course we don't have any. That's a seasonal item. It only comes out around Easter."

I honestly, genuinely, didn't know what to say back.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely hilarious! What would she have said if you had asked for MATZAH??????
Savta

Anonymous said...

Can you say, "Mayo on my corned beef"?
Lynn

Jeffrey said...

That is pretty funny! I do wonder though -- perhaps she was thinking you were looking for egg matzah? Every Kroger I've ever been in carries those, they are a seasonal item, and they do come out right around Easter...

Janet said...

You're undoubtedly right, Jeffrey, but do you have to be so damned nice about it?????? ;-)
Jan/Mom

Anonymous said...

Lynn hit the nail on the head! And now I'll tell you why it hit me as hilarious. I had an immediate playback of an incident when Jan was in kindergarten where there were only two Jewish kids out of
30. Her teacher, Mrs. McKeever, was having all the kids create Christmas decorations, and would not permit Jan to make any for Chanukah. I trotted off to meet with the principal to explain that both holidays generally occurred at about the same time of year but had no relationship to each other. I explained the significance of the JEWISH HOLIDAY OF CHANUKAH, it's origin, historical importance and modern-day observance. At the end of our meeting, she thanked me for coming to enlighten her, and assured me that Jan would be able to make Chanukah decorations to take home. Then she took my hand in both of hers, and looking deeply into my eyes, promised that she would invite me back in spring to explain the MEANING OF THE JEWISH EASTER!!!

All these years later, it struck me as hilariously funny!

Savta

Michal said...

OMG I think the thread of comments on these are better than my post itself!