Thursday, April 29, 2010

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

Jonathan just send me an email titled "a good explanation of white balance."

He wrote: "I've always struggled with how to use a white card and understanding white balance. This page makes it as plain as day." There was then a link attached.

I had no idea what this meant. The only thing I could guess was that the article was about race relations; what happens when you play the "white card" (like the "gender card") and how it could be balanced with affirmative action or racial discrimination in the workplace. I clicked on the link, fully expecting to read an 8-page explanation of Cincinnati racial politics.

No, you probably guessed it. White balance is a photography term. The link he sent me explains it in all its glory. And yes, there really is a physical thing called a white card.

Who knew??

Edited to add: Okay, who knew besides Stephanie, and Glenna, and any other photography people out there? I have too many smart friends!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

uh, I knew. I guess it's a photography geek thing.

So glad you all made it to the Big Event and glad I got to play with Xander a little bit!