Wednesday, February 8, 2012

We're back!

So, me saying not to listen to me, that I was going to post on our trip?  That was before I got to Sacramento and Portland and had days scheduled from 8:30am to 10:30pm.  I never even turned on the computer!

Of course I can't comment on any of the placement process or visits in such a public forum, but suffice it to say that the past two weeks taught me a lot about myself, the kind of rabbi I want to be, and what I truly value in a congregation.  In a week or two (once the paperwork goes through) I'll be able to post more concrete news about our future.

However, there is one thing I can write about right now - FAMILY!  We stayed with Aunt Lois and Uncle Mike for the majority of our trip, and it was incredible.  First, their house defies description.  They built it themselves, drywall piece by bathroom tile.  It's huge, and tailored to their every need and want.  Plus, it's  on a mountain, in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas, and the views are amazing from every window.  Here is but a taste:


                                          
Moonlight during a sunset.




Sunrise.  (I was awake to see one!!)


Second, we saw so many people!  My mom came up to watch Xander while Jonathan and I were in interviews for one weekend.  Then she went home and Xander stayed with Lois and Mike while we headed off for the next leg of our journey.  Being on a plane without Xander felt so strange, like I had forgotten my wallet... I kept thinking that something was missing.  He had an amazing time though, and barely thought about us at all.  

In Portland we saw my cousin Francine, who we haven't gotten together with in years.  And returning to Sacramento, we had a real vacation as a family for a few days.  On Saturday we had a mini-reunion with Tante Edna and Uncle John, Liz, and Dorothy and John, and shared stories and photo albums over fresh produce and yummy delicious cake (happy early birthday, Lois!).  A definite food highlight for me was Lois' sinfully fabulous fruit dip, consisting of cream cheese, marshmallow creme, and vanilla.  I refused to memorize the exact recipe otherwise I'd be eating it all the time!

Oh yes, and I must tell of the cousin-bonding!  Xander's second cousin John is only a few months older than Xander, and they both share a love of excavators, dump trucks, and all things construction.  John is potty trained, and showed Xander his ultimate joy this trip: peeing in the dirt outside.  I'd feel badly posting those pictures (although omg they're hilarious), but here's this one instead:


Jonathan at the bottom of the puppy pile.




Sharing an "Old McDonald's" milkshake.




                                   

Funny faces at bathtime.


I think there are some more pictures of them on the backhoe and other equipment, during a visit to a neighbor's house with Mike, but I'll have to track those down.

As much as I love vacations, I do like coming back to home sweet home.  Thank you thank you to Rachael and Danyul for keeping our cats well-fed and loved during our time away, and now it's off to unpack!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Love the update... and kind of love that you were in Sacramento and Portland...2 cities where David has family, and perhaps we can cross paths in real life one of these days? And really catch up? Or plan to do that before you leave the Midwest? I can't believe we never connected when you were coming to Mattoon all the time! Sending all the best vibes for your job search and thesis finishing.

Sheryl said...

Great pics. and LOL peeing in the dirt - what fun - but thanks for _not_ posting pics of that.
Can't wait to hear official news! all the best,
sheryl