Thursday, December 30, 2010

Vacation hodgepodge

I forgot to say earlier, on Christmas we bypassed the traditional movie and Chinese food, but I did go to Unitarian Universalist services led by a friend of mine who I met through this summer's CPE. I found it fascinating, but not quite for me. The readings were beautiful, but it seemed too new; it lacked the tradition and ritual that I love in Judaism and Catholicism both. It also was so universalistic, it had no particularism whatsoever, which I also found hard to relate to. I was still glad I went though, I'd always been curious about UU.

The video below is about a new book that claims to have DNA evidence on Ashkenazi (European) Jews' common origins. I bought everything he said in the beginning, but am not sure how much I believe from the last five minutes, about Jews' intelligence. Either way, it's still interesting to share.




And last but not least, these pictures aren't fabulous, but they're a taste of our life on vacation. Domesticity rules.


Getting a sudden urge of the cuddles after lunch.





Say "cheese!"




Contemplating life.




I'd never have believed it was possible: 32 pounds of cat sharing one bed.




Giggling at something or other.





Breaking out the Play Doh.




Making handprints.




Learning to chop Play-Doh carrot. After this came making shapes and letters, using tools to create imprints, and the ever popular favorite, seeing how much Play Doh can stick to one's nose without falling off.





Cooking said carrot.





Yentl was feeling social. This was hilarious - he tried to pull her out, she dug her claws into the carpet and insisted on staying. He finally said, very crossly, "No no no Yentl, no cook! My turn!"

3 comments:

Tevis and Katie said...

Xander is adorable and he is definitely looking like a little boy and less of a toddler. They get big so fast!

Anonymous said...

Oh these pictures are fabulous! It's great watching Xander and his dad working, playing, creating, doing together. I call it every boy's dream come true.

As to the video "Abraham's DNA" -- I don't understand this whole DNA science -- my brain blockage -- so I hear it and I can only doubt... and wait for the next dissertation that will interpret differently....

Savta

Michal said...

I know, Katie, I can't believe it! And look at your three... they're huge!

Savta, in a way I completely agree - in ten years there will be another paradigm shift, and who knows what we'll think then?