Friday, December 31, 2010

Christian candy envy

Why don't Jews decorate?! It's an age-old question. Don't get me wrong, I love Hanukkah, but Christmas really does have all the advantages in terms of decorations, music, and non-greasy food. I'm seven months pregnant and have a sweet tooth, so.... we caved, and bought a gingerbread house kit. Next year we've decided we'll buy blue and white candy to make a Hanukkah house, but I have to say.... forget that it's supposedly a Christmas thing, it was extraordinarily fun to do together as a family!


Oy vah voy, where to start?





Daddy suggests we begin by squeezing the icing into the decorating bags.






Can't interrupt decorating to look at camera... must concentrate.





Perusing the choices in order to make the best selection.





One can't properly decorate without first taste-testing, you know.





Learning how red and white combines to make pink.






Putting on the finishing touches. A boy's work is never done.





The final product. Front door.




Side one.




Back of the house.




And last side. The green "X" on the roof was Xander's very own creation.

6 comments:

Janet said...

i think the house is beautiful. Very understated and well planned out. Also, the artistry is very impressive. I guess I just figured one had to cover all the walls, like stucco. I like that you've created designs on the walls! Never would have occurred to me.

I am SO impressed with Xander's concentration, small motor movements, and his COORDINATION! I don't think think many parents would even ATTEMPT to build something so fragile with their 2 year olds. "Terrible Twos" usually mean destruction, not creation. He's really into MAKING something. Sounds like the "Terrific Twos" to me. And Two Terrific Parents!

Savta pointed something out to me too......while today we might think of gingerbread houses as associated with Xmas, it's simply another thing that's been co-opted. In the past, gingerbread houses were ALWAYS associated with Hansel and Gretel. Nothing to do with Xmas. So, they're ours too!!!! No need to make a Hanukah colored one. Personally, though, I think a little blue might add to it!

I'm so proud of you all.
Love,
Mom/Bubby

Michal said...

Wow, Mom, what a great comment! I think it's better than the original post. Thank you so much for all your insights (and compliments!). And yeah... I like that... it's a co-opted gingerbread house. That means we can make it a yearly tradition! :)

Chana P said...

when I was maybe 5 or 6, I was having serious xmas envy issues (whenever my siblings came to visit, we'd get to have a tree and stockings, but whenever they weren't here, we did nothing) - and so my parents caved and bought this channukah gingerbread house set - complete with little chocolate men wearing yarmulkes... I don't remember what happened with it, but I remember being so excited to make it.
:)
anyway, thats my two cents.
hi michal!
hope all's well!
be in touch
-Chana

Janet said...

And now I think you should tell Xander the story of Hansel and Gretel..well, maybe when he's a little older. It's actually a frightening story! But it's a fairy tale house, not a Xmas one!

And, thanks for the compliments but NOTHING could be better than your original post. The pix and captions just blow me away!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures! I too love the look of concentration.

You can do a similar thing for sukkot - and decorate a gingerbread sukkah.

sheryl

Anonymous said...

Brilliant idea, Sheryl!!!

And aren't these photos the absolute mostest????? Xander's facial expressions are infinite!!!

Savta