Thursday, January 28, 2010

Things that made my day

1) When I picked Xander up at daycare, he was playing with a plastic plate in the mock kitchen. The moment he saw me, he immediately broke into a big smile, tossed the plate across the room and started charging forward.

2) One of my profs stopped me in the halls to say, "Hey, Michal, I've got a bad gift for you." I was confused, but followed him up to his office. "You're the only student I've ever had who's been interested in Talmudic realia [context of the time], so I thought you might like this. I just got a reprint." And he rummaged around his desk and handed me a book published in 1912, called The Economic Conditions of Judaea After the Destruction of the Second Temple. How cool!

3) Quote from Dan the rare book librarian: "I'm in this profession because I want to touch the ancestors." It made me stop and think about what he does every day. And you know... he's right.

4) You know that my Bible class that meets in the Rare Book Room? Well, we all just got assigned an unpublished manuscript of the Book of Esther to study. We get to spend half of every Tuesday session to analyze it, and write up a report. Mine is absolutely gorgeous!! It's from Morocco, from the 17th century. :)

5) I took an "Interest Profiler Occupations Report" with Jonathan, for fun. My top jobs at my current educational level are supposed to be Archivist and Graduate Assistant. Both of which I've had, so I guess I'm on the right track! (I don't think "clergy" was an option.) Poor Jonathan, though, he's so in the wrong profession: his top jobs are Reporter, Creative Writer, Curator, or Film Editor.

6) Gisele Bundchen had a water birth, at home in her tub. More of us do it than you think! See here for details.

And last but not least, tomorrow we're going to go do something which makes me feel like such a parent: we're taking Xander to get his passport! Kidlet's going to Israel in a few months, he's gotta be legal.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have something else that can make your day. I just saw the first teaser trailer for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows! Even though the first part does not hit theaters til November!
Love Clarissa

Sheryl said...

Parents definitely need those smiles to wipe out the memory of all those sleepless nights!

That is so cool about the Esther scrolls. We have a couple of images online http://www.huc.edu/libraries/exhibits/purim/megilahimages/index.php
It would be great to put some of your papers online and link them to the images. If your working on one that isn't online, let me know (or Dan or Laurel) and we can add them.

Michal said...

Oooh, Clarissa, I have to look that up right now! Thank you.

And Sheryl - yeah, I don't think any of us are working on online ones. Dan would know though, he's sitting in on the class with us. I'll talk to him about it Monday. If my paper gets put up online, can I count it as being "published"? :)