Monday, January 4, 2010

2010 off to a great start

Xander took three more steps to me today! Yayness. He also stands up, then looks around, realizes what he's doing, and falls down. Oh yes, and at lunch yesterday he said "wa-ta" for water, reaching for his sippy cup. Between that, "mamamamama" and "dadadada" he seems to have quite the toddler vocabulary going.

Mom and Lynn left last week, without finishing our Harry Potter marathon. I know, the nerve of them! (They finished watching movies 5 and 6 in Long Beach.) They headed out on the 30th, so our New Year's was very low-key. We stayed in, watched more of Season 3 of Battlestar Galactica, and went to bed right after midnight. The next day, I celebrated by totally reorganizing my bookshelves with all the new books Jan brought. You may think I'm weird, but it was so much fun, I wanted to start over fresh for 2010! (Kudos to Sheryl, again, for the library recs.)

Speaking of books, I know I was on vacation, because I was able to finish two novels. The first was Rise and Shine, by Anna Quindlen, she of Newsweek column fame. It was decent. Not fabulous, but an enjoyable read. It's the tale of a relationship between two sisters, one immensely rich and famous in Manhattan, one working at a homeless shelter in the Bronx. It's also a good class commentary, with a sobering glance into what it's like to live the towncar NY lifestyle, as well as what it means to be poor.

The second book was Home Game: An Accidental Guide to Fatherhood, by Michael Lewis. I thought it was only so-so. Maybe because I'm not a guy? I'm not sure. I just didn't particularly like his fathering style at all, so it turned me off. When I read some parts to Jonathan though he seemed much more sympathetic and laughed out loud, so don't take my word for it. It's a collection of essays and anecdotes that were originally published in Slate magazine (I think), and some are better than others.

School started up again today, in an intensive four-day class called "The Power of Storytelling." It's been great so far. This weekend is my pulpit, and next week starts spring semester, for real. Wish me luck!

No comments: