Sunday, January 24, 2010

Social weekend

Next weekend I'm at my pulpit, so we had to get all our socializing in the past few days, instead. On Friday, Jeffrey and Courtney came over for Shabbat dinner:












What goofy grins.



I'm up high!




Ignore our conversation in the background, we're trying to decide what to order from the Thai restaurant.




The next day:



Dancing. Or prancing, either or. This was at the toy store in the mall. For the first time in his short little life, Xander actually wanted a material object. He saw it and he lit up, and while Jonathan and I browsed, he pushed that toy back and forth and back and forth. It was 50% off, so we bought it for him. But then when we tried to put him back in the stroller, he had a fit! He wouldn't sit quietly until Jonathan walked right next to the stroller, holding it in his hand, showing Xander that no, we weren't leaving his precious toy behind but were taking it with us. The kid knows what he wants, that's for sure.







Then there was today:







After a Dewey's pizza excursion with Rachel and Evan and their year-old son Liam, we went back to our house to play. The picture came out funny - still not quite sure what happened - but here Liam and Xander are "racing" up the stairs. Imagine lots of giggling throughout.

Also, I think there may be some misunderstandings when I said Xander was communicating with us. He doesn't actually speak any words, he uses sign language. So when he wants more food, or something else on his plate, or to sing another song, he'll put his two index fingers together for "more." When he's done eating and wants to get down from the chair, or is bored with an activity and wants to move on, he signs "all done" by raising both hands and waving them side to side. "Food" when he's hungry is touching his fingers to his thumb, and bringing them to his mouth. We use "gentle," too, when he pets the cats. Or, to be more specific, when he half-lies down on top of the cats, or pats their sides. It's really hard to get a video of him doing any of that because the motion is only a split-second. If you want to see, you'll just have to come visit. :)

7 comments:

Janet said...

I keep watching these videos and looking at these pix over and over again. Our little one is growing up! He walks with such confidence and he is so clear in his communications.....when he's proud of himself, when he wants your attention. And I love when he walks away from Jeffrey but still taps his hand on the table....tapping just like Jeffrey. That is one happy boy of yours. You and Jonathan are surely doing a lot right! Enjoy, enjoy! How I miss you all.
Love,
Mom

Janet said...

And, by the way, did I mention how absolutely gorgeous Xander is? What a personality!

Michal said...

He is growing up! And I hope he's happy... I think he is. He smiles a lot. And yes, you did mention how gorgeous he is. In at least every other email, and every time we talk on the phone. Amazing, though, how I don't get tired of hearing it! :)

Janet said...

Whenever I need a pick me up, I look at this post! Thank you!!!! Love to all,
Mom

Sheryl said...

Isn't it amazing how quickly they go from those first steps to independent walker?
Your mother, by the way, is completely biased. I will give you a completely neutral, unbiased opinion - he's gorgeous! and you 2 are obviously doing a great job with him.

Michal said...

Sheryl, I deeply admire and respect your objective opinion. :)

Janet said...

So do I. Thank you, Sheryl!
;-)
Jan/Mom/Bubby