Thursday, August 18, 2011

My childhood, revisited

My mom loves to tell the story of how she knew she needed to stop swearing in front of me when I was a child:  I was three years old and cleaning my room, and taking forever. I didn't put a book back unless I read it first.  I couldn't put a puzzle away until I'd put it together. My mother, after being with me for over an hour, finally said, "Michal, I have a life to lead.  It's time to be done."  Three year old me, sitting on the floor with a puzzle, didn't even look up but said, slowly and casually, "In a minute.  I only have three more f*&%-ing pieces."

The way my mother tells the tale, she was at least happy that I used it correctly!

Flash-forward to today.  Jonathan and I have curbed our use of all negative words in front of the kids, or so we thought.  Until Xander's teacher pulled us aside today to report an "incident":  another child wanted to play with a toy that Xander had, and the teacher told him that he needed to let the other child have a turn.  Xander was not happy about it.  And as he handed the child the toy, he very heatedly told him, "You suck!"

And what did his teacher say to us?  At least he used it correctly. :) 

(For those who are curious: that's what Jonathan tells bad drivers instead of cussing them out.)

3 comments:

Janet said...

On this wonderful story, I will go to sleep (it's midnight) and dream of seeing you all in just a few short weeks. This was hilarious!
love you all,
Mom/Bubby

hollydlr said...

LOL! Gregory says "you suck" too! I am actually shocked that he doesn't curse more...and whatever bad words he does say are all my fault, for the record. (Dan is exonerated :) Ah well, they learn those words eventually anyway, right? I'm just hoping he doesn't whip them out in front of Gma and Gpa!

Michal said...

Smiles to all!