Monday, March 14, 2011

30th birthday!

March 12, 2011 was the best day I can remember in a long, long time. I started out the day by sleeping in til 8, then got up to have a yummy breakfast made by Jonathan and Xander (he stirs the French toast batter like no one else). I know I'm supposed to be reclining, but I went to Tot Shabbat anyway. It was so cute, Xander loved the services - he clapped and said "YAY!" after every song. Afterwards he and the other kids made their own graggers for Purim out of a folded paper plate and beads.

After that was a FABULOUSLY tasty lunch at Maggiano's Little Italy. Then home for nap. Then out for cheesecake with a few friends. The group was great - 2 couples from HUC, a few friends from temple, and a few Home Birth Circle mamas I know. We realized halfway through dinner that there were four adults there that we'd never actually seen without their kids!

All in all, it was extremely relaxing. Jonathan was awesome with childcare, I didn't do a single diaper all day.

In terms of gifts, I have to brag a little bit... Jonathan handed me a bag with a few books in it, among them The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, which I've been wanting to read (I'm halfway through and it's amazing, in case you're curious.) Then he acted all embarrassed and said, "Oh no, I forgot your card!"

He went to his office and handed me a homemade card that looks like a little booklet.


First page:

USER: Michal Loving
Protocol: Birthday
Signature: Jonathan Loving
Security Access granted
***BEEP***


Second Page:




Third Page:

Laptop 1.0: Failure due to severe physical trauma. Status: Terminated

Laptop 2.0: Failure to perform; unable to fulfill requirements. Status: Upgraded

Laptop 2.5: Upgrades exceeded expectations, however video degradation failure reduced functionality by 60%. Status: TBD

Laptop 3.1: Resurrected to function, but only to 70% of requirements. Status: TBD

Laptop 4.0: New configuration design should exceed requirements for 4.5 solar years providing no major component failure. Status: In Transit to User.

End Of Line


The "In transit to user part" was when my jaw dropped open. He, my mom and grandmother went in and got me AN ENTIRELY NEW LAPTOP! The fourth page of the card, besides being much more personal, reassured me that the newest laptop "can arguably be given the title of 'Fastest computer in the Loving household.'" I can't wait!! Jonathan did tons of research and designed all the specs himself to fit what he knows I like (which are all on page 2). As he wrote in his card, is there any truer way for a computer geek husband to show love? I think not!

5 comments:

Janet said...

Sounds like one of your best birthdays ever!!!!!

I love you THIS much!!!!

Anonymous said...

Go Girl!!!! You're off the launch pad with the speed of a Jonathan-designed computer, holding Xander in your arms, the both of you securely embraced by your loving husband. What better way to celebrate a birthday!! :)))

Savta

Rebecca said...

Sounds like a wonderful birthday! Hope you are feeling well. I loved reading the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks- enjoy. When you are done, you can post a review of the book on your blog using your new laptop. Yay Jonathan. That is, if you're not totally consumed by life with a newborn and a toddler.

Michal said...

Mom and Savta - :)

And Becca - just finished it. It was awesome! We need to catch up on the phone and discuss.

Sheryl said...

Sounds like a wonderful birthday! I haven't read that book - I'll have to check it out.