Saturday, March 26, 2011

Catching up on reading

Rebecca Skloot's The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks was wonderful; a perfect mix of scientific explanation and good old-fashioned story-telling.  Brady Udall's The Lonely Polygamist was also wonderful, but for very different reasons. It was pure fiction, and the first half was devastating to read, or least very depressing.  The second half was about the characters climbing their way out of their respective holes, so I liked it much more.  Did I mention on here I finally read Eat Pray Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India, and Indonesia a while back?  The "Eat" section was fun, but I thought the "Pray" and "Love" was much more introspective.  Maybe I just couldn't get into the "Eat" hedonistic part because I too have trouble just relaxing and doing nothing else.  There's probably a lesson in there somewhere.   I've also been enjoying books from childhood on my shelf - for example, I'd forgotten how good Witch-Cat was!   Of course, it's made for 9-12 year old readers, but I enjoyed rereading it anyway. :)

I also caught up on Newsweeks that my mom brought, and our copies of Popular Science.  The latter magazine always gives me such good food for thought about where our society is going in the future.  Technology amazes me.

Anything else?  Um, no baby yet.  That was probably obvious.  Xander's really starting to get the "big brother" concept though, so every day with no infant is another day that he understands more.  At least that's what I tell myself.  I hate waiting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear you're finding time to read. How about tackling "Proust and the Squid"?
I really think you'll like it, and Jonathan may not want to put it down once he starts.
Savta

Michal said...

I think in a little bit, but not right now... "Proust and the Squid" is pretty scholarly. And right now I'm all into purely fluff! It's on my list for when I'm feeling more serious though.

Chana P said...

I loved Eat Pray Love!!!
and I have the Immortal Life of Henrietta Sacks on my bookshelf waiting to be read!
:)
and can't wait to hear the good news - b'shaah tovah!

Sheryl said...

I just checked out Henrietta (on audio) I've heard several great reviews of it.

yeah, waiting sucks.
hugs, sheryl