Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Seinfeld post

Because really, it's about... nothing.

Like, I have nothing to say.

Xander is speaking more in sentences now, saying "come with me" instead of just "come me." He's also learning pronouns, so if I say, "where's Daddy?" he'll say, "go find him."

I went to my pulpit this weekend. It was snowy, so Jonathan drove me. Xander was sick. It wasn't fun. Though I did experiment and did a mostly English-language service (instead of the usual half-English half-Hebrew). People either loved it or hated it. No one was neutral. I was amused.

Jonathan's been deep at work fixing his computer in the evenings, so I've been left to my own devices and finished The Tudors on Netflix. Great show. And they aged the characters beautifully.

Debbie Friedman passed away today. She completely revitalized Jewish prayer and liturgy a couple decades ago, bringing folk music into services. I never knew her personally, but I loved her music. Her influence is such that you can tell who of my friends are Jewish and who's not based purely on my Facebook feed; all the Jews have something about her on their statuses, and the others go on normally.

Other than that... Jonathan is upstairs dealing with Xander who's currently refusing to go to sleep. I'm down here thanking my lucky stars that he has the patience to be with him, because I don't.

And... that's about it. Lilah tov, good night all!

4 comments:

Janet said...

Debbie had a career that spanned 35 years. I began listening to her music when I was in my early 20s and what was so remarkable is that she was my age. She did so much in such a short period of time. I'd met her a couple times and we'd chatted but for some reason I feel like I've lost a close friend. It was her music. It was always her music. I remember seeing her in concert once. She was in Orange County at Temple Beth Sholom (where the funeral is being held tomorrow). I was sitting in the front row. I'd heard her mishebeirach many, many times and it was a nice piece of music. Nothing special. But once she began singing it during that concert, I found myself weeping sitting there in the front row. I don't know why. But she communicated through her music. I'll never forget it.

Sheryl said...

I definitely noticed that trend on my Facebook feed too - Debbie posts or non-Jews.

Its a little funny - but she was not a great singer. She just had an "ok" voice - but when you heard her, you understood the phrase "sing from the heart"

Janet said...

No she wasn't a great singer. But like Frank Sinatra or Judy Garland, who also weren't great singers, they could communicate through their music. They could rope you in and you were theirs forever.

Michal said...

She will most definitely be missed.