Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My life this week: wipes, cat tails, clothes and tricycles

Have I written before about Xander's obsession with wipes? We're starting to joke that the child is OCD. He gets up in the morning, he asks for a wipe. He wipes his face, my face, Bear's face, the wall. You name it, he wipes it. I think he likes their coolness, because when one dries out, he asks for another. Yesterday after dinner he wanted one, and I said sure, meaning to go upstairs with him in a moment. Instead he raced off to the staircase. I quietly followed, and saw that he went straight to his room, climbed up his changing table, sat on it, reached for the wipes container, took one out, climbed back down, and was getting ready to go back downstairs.

This is the same child who, when I wasn't getting him food fast enough, climbed up on the kitchen chair, clambered up to sit on the counter, opened the cabinet door, took out the beef jerky, climbed back down and presented it to me on the couch. I was so impressed with his ingenuity I let him have it. It was hilarious though, because Simcha kept trying to steal it from his hand. And after Xander was done, he was going to feed him some!

Those two are becoming problematic, they're much too good friends.... Xander will open the basement door or the screen door outside if Simcha meows at him. Simcha lets him use his tail as a train track (picture the toy train running up and down the cat's back, and then Simcha swishing his tail so that Xander has a new track to follow). Both of them play tag with each other. I swear, we don't need a dog at this point. The 15-pound tabby fits the bill.

Speaking of bills, I got away with a relatively small one when I went clothes shopping yesterday. ME! Clothes shopping! It was a dire necessity, as I had no nice maternity clothes to wear for upcoming services this weekend. So my friend Rachel and I drove an hour and a bit, almost up to Columbus, to the Motherhood Maternity outlet store. Then back to Hebron, KY for the maternity section at the GAP outlet for casual clothes. I literally spent all day shopping, but at least now I won't have to keep wearing the same outfits every week. Rachel's one-year old did pretty well in the backseat, most likely because she kept stuffing him with raisins to keep him happy.

I wasn't the only one who made out like a bandit yesterday, either. When I got home Xander was playing with a bunch of new toys that Angela's friend had passed on to him. They're moving soon so are weeding out their toy collection. Apparently when they were visiting, he got on the 7 year-old's old tricycle and was pedaling like a pro! The mom said he could have it, so we're going to pick it up tomorrow. I see many, many rides around the block in my future.

Also, Jonathan emailed this to me, and I thought I would share: this link takes you to a demonstration of a classic physic experiment called a Ruben's Tube, which visually shows you sound waves. Mr. Yeend from 12th grade physics would be so proud that I actually paid attention to something, and could understand what was going on!

For all you People of the Book, g'mar chatimah tovah. For all you people of all other books, happy Tuesday!

6 comments:

Janet said...

What a great post! He's not OCD. He just likes to be clean! He always has. When he was an infant there was not getting away with him having a little urine in his diaper. He insisted on a diaper change, remember? Jonathan must be thrilled. He's the most fastidious man I know. Like father, like son.

And I'm thrilled to hear that Simcha and Xander communicate so well. Two year olds are usually pulling cats' tails. Instead, you have taught him to be loving and considerate. He treats his pets like the loving spirits they are....they're just in feline bodies.

Riding a tricycle, huh? Well, it doesn't surprise me. He has always been very coordinated.

And good for you for shopping! Can't wait to see lots of pictures.

Love you all,
Mom/Bubby

Anonymous said...

Xander learned riding a tricycle in Israel! And we have the videos on this blog to prove it. By now he's in the Grand Prix category.
Oooooh...I love this blog!
Savta

Jonathan said...

How does that saying go? Cleanliness is next to Godliness

Michal said...

I could not agree more with you all. :)

Janet said...

Mom, are you sure it was Xander who learned to ride a tricycle in Israel? I remembered seeing pictures of our little blond riding a tricycle in Israel wearing big shoes until I realized I was remembering MICHAL doing it instead of Xander! Do you and I have different memories?

Michal said...

Mom and Savta, I don't remember Xander learning in Israel either. But then again, I don't remember *me* learning either. But the pictures prove that one. Turns out he's not really riding per se, cuz his feet can't reach the pedals. But he loves to kick himself along from the ground and go fast.