Thursday, May 17, 2012

I wonder who gets the royalties?

In the car today with Ari I didn't feel like putting on the radio, so I started to sing.  After going through my usual songs I somehow dredged up two jingles I hadn't sung in years, that my mother used to sing to me:

My bologna has a first name
It's O-S-C-A-R
My bologna has a second name
It's M-A-Y-E-R
I love to eat it every day and if you ask me why I'll say...
Cuz Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A


And then the second...

I wish I were an Oscar Meyer weiner
That is what I'd really like to be-ee-ee
Cuz if I were an Oscar Meyer weiner
Everyone would be in love with me!


I started thinking about it more and so did some research:  the first song is from 1973, the latter one is from 1965. That jingle has lasted for 47 years!!  That's a really good commercial lifespan.

For your enjoyment, the originals:





1 comment:

Janet said...

I remember the first time I sang you the one from 1965. Your reaction was succinct. You stared at me and simply said, "Weiner? Did you say weiner?!" Cracked me up!!!!