Monday, May 21, 2012

A 31 year-old's version of Xander's "Why???"

Why is that attending weddings is no longer romantic?  The guests at the table next to us at Tim's wedding on Saturday even offered to watch the kids while we danced... it lasted about 30 seconds before X came to join us.

Why is it that single parenthood reminds me of having my first newborn?  Jonathan's in CA all week finding us a place to live, and I have felt just as frazzled, unkempt, and late everywhere as I was when X was first born and I couldn't figure out how to adjust.

Why is that the cats gobble down the most expensive cat food, and turn up their noses at the cheap stuff?  That one's probably self-explanatory, actually.

Why is it that the amount of laundry that needs to be done is consistently disproportionate to the size of the people involved?  I've been wondering this one for three and a half years now.

Why is that medicine cabinets are so tempting?  I woke up this morning to rustling sounds, to find that X was wearing my blush-red shade of lipstick all over his face and had sampled a few Tum's.  After being read the riot act, I don't think he'll be taking any more "medicine" without asking.

Why is it that a toddler and a preschooler, when given the opportunity to run/toddle quickly, run/toddle quickly in the opposite directions?  I bet if I can find a solution to this phenomenon, one that doesn't involve child leashes, I'd be a multi-millionaire.

But perhaps most importantly...

Why is it that even now, when I'm tired, cranky, and am ready to absolve myself of all parenting, I can still look in on my sleeping children and think that they're the most beautiful creatures on earth?  Life truly is mysterious.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Soon I'll be there to help....not soon enough, I know.
How I love you. Hang in there.
Mom