Friday, March 9, 2012

Things to read

Article: 
"Apologies To The Parents I Judged Four Years Ago" by Kara Gebhart Uhl

Non-fiction book:
Beyond the Sling: A Real-Life Guide to Raising Confident, Loving Children the Attachment Parenting Way by Mayim Bialik.  Why do I love her?  From the amazon.com description:

Mayim Bialik is perhaps best known for her lead role as Blossom Russo in the early-1990s NBC television sitcom Blossom, and she currently stars on the top-rated comedy The Big Bang Theory. Bialik earned a B.S. from UCLA in 2000 in Neuroscience and Hebrew and Jewish Studies, and a Ph.D. in Neuroscience from UCLA in 2007. She designed a Neuroscience curriculum for homeschoolers in Southern California, where she also teaches biology, chemistry, and piano to middle and high school students. Married to her college sweetheart with two young sons, Bialik is also a Certified Lactation Education Counselor.

Fiction book:  
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.  I actually read it out loud to Jonathan, a chapter a night, til we finished.  It was the family book!  Again from Amazon:

At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, READY PLAYER ONE is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut—part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera set in a universe where spell-slinging mages battle giant Japanese robots, entire planets are inspired by Blade Runner, and flying DeLoreans achieve light speed.


Video to watch: 

Hogwarts Purim!

3 comments:

Rachael J said...

Fantastic! I loved reading the apology article, quite powerful as someone yet to have children.
As for Mayim's book--that woman is amazing. Parenting style will be addressed after pregnancy, so I don't know abut that angle, but this woman is superb. For me, she is a person to look up to in many ways.
Thanks for the post!

Janet said...

I too loved the apology article...so much that I posted it to Twitter and FB!

Michal said...

I'm so glad you two enjoyed it! I'm posting another one now, which appalled me...