Saturday, March 31, 2012

Baked french toast

I made breakfast this morning.  And it wasn't merely edible, either, it was good!  Everyone had seconds, even Ari.  We used up the challah thanks to imaonthebima's recipe:

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
3 tablespoons honey (I don't measure. I just squeeze it in the pan.)
2/3 cup orange juice (or milk if you don't have any)
4 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (who measures?)
1/4 teaspoon salt
glug of vanilla
6 (1/2- to 3/4-inch) thick slices of Challah

Heat oven to 375.
Spray a 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray and then put butter and honey into then pan. Heat in oven until butter melts and honey is bubbling, about 8 minutes. Remove from oven and stir well.
While it's heating, in a large wide pan, whisk together juice, eggs, spices, and salt. Dip bread in, turning it once to coat it well, let it soak about 2 minutes per side, then carefully set each piece of bread into the honey-buttered pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until well-browned. Before serving, flip over each piece so the honey-butter side is up.


It smells and tastes amazing.



The funny part is, as I read "who measures" I look down at myself... holding a measuring spoon full of cinnamon.  Well, so I'm not at the "just dump it in" stage yet... but it still tasted fantastic!

3 comments:

Janet said...

I'm so with you, Michal! I measure too.
Mom

Janet said...

And MAZEL TOV, btw! You cooked!!!!!
xoxo
Mom

Anonymous said...

it sounds good - I'm just confused by one concept ... what is "leftover challah"? I don't think I've ever seen any in our house. :-)
sheryl