Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Turning lemons into lemonade

1) My license expired, so I had to retake the driving test for Ohio.  It was so annoying, we had to drive 45 minutes away.  But I scored 100%!  Much better than the 74% I got when I was sixteen.

2) Jillian Michaels' DVDs are awful, terrible, fabulous workouts.  I did it for 35 minutes last night and am so sore.  And I'm not thin yet either.  What's up with that?!  But I have hope for the future.

3) On a random stop to Old Navy, Jonathan met someone he knows from the game shop.  A Jewish family, who also go to our temple.  We've lived here four years now, it's official that we can't go anywhere without running into people.

4) I knew that Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur were imminent, because I've been preparing for my pulpit.  I also knew that this meant Xander's birthday was coming up soon (he was born on October 7th).  But until Jonathan mentioned it, it hadn't occurred to me that we would need to plan a party.  Oy-ness!  So now we have RSVPs for five three-year olds, plus Xander, to be at our house with their parents in a couple of weekends.  It will be fun, and Xander will love it.  Downside: did I already say that there were going to be five three-year olds at our house?

5) The teens down the block were playing football on Sunday when a stray touchdown knocked down one of the power lines.  Duke Energy had to come and fix it.  What could have been annoying became an amazing adventure: Xander came with me to collect all our candles, then we very carefully placed them around the house and lit the ones in any room we were in.  Xander's favorite was when Jonathan read him bedtime stories by candlelight. And Ari... he was transfixed.  He just kept staring at the flame with wide eyes, completely in love with the way it shimmered.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. Congratulations!!!!!
2. Take another look in the mirror.
You are GAWJUSS!!!!!
3. After four years, you're part of
the warp and woof the Cincinnati
Jewish community.
4. Ari won't know where to look
first -- it'll be a blast.
5. How safe and secure you make
your boys feel under all and
sundry circumstances.

Kol haKavod!
Savta/SavtaRabbah

Janet said...

What a great comment, Mom!
Love,
Jan

Janet said...

You both handled what could have been a scary disaster with such aplomb...what great rolemodeling for your boys. And congrats on passing your driving test. Hey! I got a 74% when I was a teenager too. Weird!

Have fun at Xander's party. And take heart, tell the parents that your there to feed the provide fun but that they're all responsible for their own children! They're staying for the party, right? I'm sure Xander will have a blast!

Loving and miss you all,
Mom

Michal said...

I like the way you two think, for all of it. :)