Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Labels have such different nuances

I've felt like I've had two kids before: childbirth helped with that, as does having both kids need something at the same time.

I've felt like a Mommy before: when Xander calls my name, or Ari reaches out to me with a plaintive look in his eyes.

I've even felt like a Mom before: when I fill out permission slips for Xander's daycare, or take either child to the doctor.

But yesterday was the first time I felt like a Mother:  I found myself standing in front of the open refrigerator door at ten o'clock at night, wondering why the watermelon and cantaloupe were slowly going bad.  Then it occurred to me that they were going bad because no one was eating them, because they weren't cut up into pieces in a bowl.  Then I realized that I would have to be the one to cut them up.  So I found myself standing barefoot in the kitchen after the kids were in bed, cutting up melons.  Not only that, I was removing the watermelon seeds.

Not only did I feel like a mother...  I think I just became my mother!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And there is no finer role-model for a mother than YOUR mother.

Savta (her mother)

Janet said...

Awwww, thanks Mom. Even I was thinking.....you could do a lot worse! hahaha

Rebecca said...

Great post! I feel terrible that I so rarely comment, but I do read your posts!

Michal said...

Mom and Savta, true enough. And Becca, hooray, I'm just glad you read them! I'm sorry we haven't connected via phone... let's keep trying.