Monday, May 2, 2011

I'm actually learning something...

while studying for my final tomorrow in History of Reform Judaism.  We were comparing how the movements treat Shabbat.  I thought the prof laid it out really nicely:

- The Reform movement is concerned with kedusha, what is holy.  It's about prayer, lighting candles, blessing our kids.
- The Orthodox movement is concerned with menucha, the laws governing rest.  It's about not violating prohibitions.
- Secular Jews are concerned with oneg, what is fun.  It's about doing special things different from the rest of the week.

And apparently my notes didn't cover Conservative Jews, so let's just assume they're a mix of Reform and Orthodox. :)

4 comments:

Lynn said...

So based on your current understanding, is there a formal part of Judaism that does emphasize violating prohibitions? Or is Shabbat just meant to be the sweetest day of the week?

Lynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheryl said...

Oh I don't know - I think that Reform Jews like their oneg too!

But I think you're right - there does seem to be tension between celebration and deprivation.

p.s. Thanks for sending Jan back - although I know she misses you all terribly already. I'm glad to have my commuter buddy back again!

Michal said...

Lynn, I don't think that Reform emphasizes violating prohibitions as a whole; it tends more toward personal autonomy. But it's not just about being the sweetest day of the week, either, but about being the most *holy* day of the week, whatever that means for us. (Not to say that that's not also the Orthodox perspective... just not the way it's practiced).

And Sheryl, I agree, we all love oneg! But this is more about the "movement," not the people. What the former says is sometimes amusingly different than the latter. :)