Friday, May 13, 2011

Sad news for Xander's sake

I was just speaking with the president of the congregation I'm going to serve for High Holidays next year.  We were discussing hotel reservations for Yom Kippur, and I realized, erev Yom Kippur is October 7th, Xander's birthday.  That means all day on his birthday I'll be really stressed, and he'll hate the long road trip to the pulpit.  Congregants will be hosting us for dinner that night... maybe I can ask them to make a birthday cake?

At least he's only turning three.  Though unfortunately I think this will be a lifelong problem.  And then Ari was born right before Pesach, meaning his birthday will definitely be flour-cake-less one of these days.  

If/when we have another child, we're going to have to try and time them better! 

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Start celebrating half birthdays too!! !/2 a cupcake, no gifts, but tons of feeling special!

Janet said...

As a Yom Kippur baby (I was born ON Yom Kippur), I hope this sets your mind at ease when I tell you that it really doesn't matter. Xander will always know his birthday is October 7th and I encourage you to hug and kiss him and shower him with love and even a present or two. But the actual celebration can be ANY day. A day or weekend before or a day or weekend after......whenever you decide to celebrate, it will be the special day for him. Plus, the flexibility when he's young will set a very useful precedent. He won't grow up one of those people who MUST celebrate on his birthday! He'll be willing to start celebrating early and extend the celebration beyond the actual date. Start now! He'll love it.

Anonymous said...

Actually, Janet, it did matter that you were born ON Shabbat/Yom Kippur, and that your Bat Mitzvah was on Shabbat Shuvah between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. It made you VERY SPECIAL.

And being born near Pesach -- what could be more wonderful -- BORN FREE!!!!!!!

Judaism is liberal with its blessings.

Savta

Janet said...

That's true, Mom. I did feel very special about both those things.
Jan

Michal said...

I love all these suggestions. I agree - it's not the day that counts, but that he feels special. We can do that for sure!