Saturday, March 27, 2010

Things that were funny at the time, but that will be even funnier later

1) Dumpster diving in the pouring rain. Xander wears cloth diapers, and I always bring a cloth bag to put the dirty ones in. Well, the other day I forgot it, so I asked his caretaker if she could just put them in a plastic grocery bag. She did so. Then someone else thought the bag was trash and threw it away. Jonathan and I spent 15 minutes outside getting soaked... but we found the bag! It had 5 diapers in it, so we saved around $100.

2) We went to Ault Park today with Rachel and Evan. The babeleh shared his pushcart beautifully, and didn't even complain once when Liam pushed it around. Then it became so popular that no less than 4 other toddlers wanted to play with it. We only had problems when another little boy tried to pile it high with mulch, and then didn't want to take the mulch out. His mother was very apologetic.

3) I saved a crayon from the washing machine. We have now reached the age of all those Erma Bombeck books that I used to laugh at, thinking it would never happen to me.

4) At the beginning of our walk outside, I wore my jacket, Xander wore his, and he walked in front of me pushing his cart. By the end of our walk, it was hot and Xander was tired, so I carried both our jackets, the boy, and his cart. I will say that I am getting good biceps...

5) I think I overscheduled next week. Monday is first seder at a friend's in Cincinnati. Tuesday I lead second seder at my pulpit in Indiana. Wednesday I pack. Because late Wednesday/early Thursday Xander and I leave for Israel! Does anyone have any tips for long plane travel with a toddler? We've been to California and New York twice each, but those trips were nowhere near as long as Tel Aviv (13 hours total air time). I wonder how much he'll sleep, or if there's such a thing as too many toys.

And these aren't necessarily funny, but I thought they were interesting enough to share: NY Times articles on what it means to be "white" and the Obama seder.

No comments: