Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Early morning frustration

At 7am today, Cincinnati was in a Level I snow alert, but HUC was open.

I was scared to drive on the still-unplowed streets, so Jonathan took me and Xander to school. I went to my 8am class, Xander to daycare. Jonathan went back home.

At 8:16am, the director of operations came into our classroom to tell us that HUC was closing. All classes were cancelled, including the one I was now in. I called Jonathan to pick us up. He had literally just gotten home and taken his boots off, when he had to come back.

Our class (all six of us who had showed up) voted to have the session continue. We had driven out in this bad weather, we were darn well gonna learn something.

Then daycare called to please pick up Xander, as it was now closed and he was the only kid in the building.

Thankfully, my prof is wonderful and told me to bring him back to the classroom with me. So I grabbed some toys and a snack from daycare, Xander and I trooped back to the classroom, and I spent the rest of the class period trying to keep him quiet while half-listening to the conversation about rabbinic authority on law versus minhag (custom).

Class ended, everyone left. Jonathan was still stuck in terrible traffic. Xander and I went to the Bumming Room so he could play the piano. Jonathan drove up, we got in the car. Xander screamed and screamed, because he liked the piano, and he was tired of being quiet.

It's been a decent day, in spite of all that. But what a waste of a morning.

3 comments:

Janet said...

Doesn't HUC get weather alerts like the rest of the world? Yikes! Our Educators closed our schools for a huge rainstorm a couple weeks ago and we got calls and emails. Who was asleep at the wheel?

I'm glad to hear you are all safe.
Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

That young Xander is quite the music-lover, isn't he? Piano, percussion, bouncing butt to the rhythm. He's got a real future in music. Even the screaming might come in handy.

PS: It's Lynn but I can't recall my gmail account, so I'm publishing anonymously.

Michal said...

Snow and music! Yep, that about summarizes the week.

LOL Lynn, I like that the screaming may come in handy. He definitely has lungs. :)