Friday, July 3, 2009

Why must I always make life harder than it is?

Jonathan and I cleared out the space in back of our garage. We want to make a sanctuary, a private place to sit and think. This includes putting up the hammock we bought years ago in Cancun.

So today, I did what I always do when faced with a problem. I did research. How does one put up a hammock, I wondered? Well, first one buys two 6in wide x 6in long 8ft wooden posts, two 80lb bags of cement, and U-bolts from Lowe's. Then one rents a posthole auger from Sunbelt Rentals. One then digs two 18in holes in the ground, puts the posts in, adds cement, adds water, wiggles the posts to mix up the cement, lets it set for 24 hours, attaches the hooks, and finally, attaches the hammock.

It took me about an hour to figure this out, what with looking online and talking to the people at the two stores. Then Sarah called to say hello. I explained what I was doing.

"Oh," she said. "That doesn't really sound like your kind of project. Have you checked with Sears or LL Bean? You can just buy a hammock stand instead."

ARRGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Janet said...

You've become quite the homeowner! I am very impressed. And you can go a little easier on yourself. You just did what you do....research! And, oh yeah, YAY for Sarah! LOL
Love you and can't wait to see how it all comes out,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Isn't technology wonderful?! Sometimes... I especially like the kind you can purchase fully-assembled :) Your space sounds like it will be amazing!

Michal said...

Thanks guys! Hopefully both of you can come see it soon.