Friday, March 20, 2009

Religion. Sorta.

Two interesting things happened today. One, I realized I never posted pictures from the temple Purim carnival. There are only two below because most shots were taken with my third-grade students or other little kids who are not mine, and I don't want to post them online. Sorry.


Me as a clown and Xander as a Xanderbug. You can't see it, but I was wearing rainbow striped stockings and had had on yellow gloves.




The temple had a Wild West theme for Purim (I'd never heard of themes before, but it was fun). Here I am shooting out the candles with my trusty squirt gun.



Second - I took a long walk around my neighborhood. Like, I walked more than two miles with Xander in the wrap. (Jessica and anyone else, please don't hurt yourself when you fall off your chair.) And I was shocked by something. There are THIRTEEN CHURCHES within walking distance of my house. I counted. Thirteen. There's a Methodist church, a Church of Christ, a Church of God, an Orthodox church, a Reform Pentacostal church, two neighborhood Christian churchs, a Church of the Nazarene, a Presbyterian church, an Immaculate Conception church, and three Baptist churches.

This is mind-boggling. Does everyone where I live go to church? Talk about a multitude of Christianity literally in my backyard. The whole way home I was giggling to myself, it reminded me so much of that old Jewish joke:

"Two Jews were stranded on a desert island. So of course, they built three synagogues. One was for Person A, one was for Person B, and the third was the one that neither of them would be caught dead in!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's it! That's it! That's the Xanderbug that flits around the garden of my heart!
Savta

Anonymous said...

Looks like a lot of fun!

Jessica:) said...

I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!! And no chair falling here. My nice strong abs kept me upright :)