Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A relatively easy week

The CCAR, or Central Conference of American Rabbis, is this week, and 400 rabbis have landed in Cincinnati. Conference sessions were held on campus yesterday, and this has provided the impetus for new paint, spiffy retiling, and a whole bunch of campus updates. I like that the place is looking so good, but really, couldn't they have done it anyway? Then again, I don't usually thoroughly clean either unless company is coming over. Pot, meet kettle.

Yesterday in my mini-break I did four loads of laundry, advertised a bunch of random items on craigslist, and finally organized all the paperwork on my desk. I also read The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs, which my mom had sent over, and The Origin of the Modern Jew by Michael Meyer. No offense to Dr. Meyer, but the Knitting Club was a lot more fun to get through! It was a good "fun book," in the genre of Joy Luck Club or How to Make an American Quilt. It almost (but not quite!) made me wish I knew how to knit. Modern Jew just depressed me. Jewish history's kinda sucky, isn't it? The more I learn, the more I agree with the half-joke of "They tried to kill us, we survived, let's eat." Bagels for everyone!

No comments: