Sunday, March 30, 2008

Side note

I forgot to say what a wonderful dinner we had with Becca and Sarah on Friday. Shabbat pizza and beer (juice for me). We watched Bee Movie, which we had rented in order to make fun of, but then found ourselves strangely enjoying.

Becca and I went to the Bodies exhibition today which was AMAZING. Real preserved bodies, with each organ system separated so you could see it. They even had a whole section on reproduction and fetal development, which I found fascinating. My lovely squeamish husband didn't want to go, so in deference to others of his ilk I won't go into detail, only to say it was well well worth it, and I highly recommend going to the exhibit for when it comes near you.

Books I've been enjoying lately, on an amazing similar theme: Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy, Expecting Miracles: Finding Meaning and Spirituality in Pregnancy Through Judaism by Chana Weisberg, Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads by Gary Greenberg, Super Kids in 30 Minutes a Day by Karen Kwiatkowski. Lest you think all I read is child-related things, however, my mom just sent me The Friday Night Knitting Club, which I intend to start this week. And we just watched Enchanted, which reminded me of MARLEENA all the way, and This Movie is Not Yet Rated, which is a piercing look at the MPAA and how movies are rated. Forget any of the books, watch the documentary, it's utterly brilliant and will forever change your opinion of Hollywood.

Still working on the belly pictures part.... I'll get there soon.

4 comments:

Sheryl said...

I don't know what Jonathan did when he _didn't_ go to the body show - but I would be with him. There is a reason we have skin!

I just read One baby step at a time (seven secrets of Jewish motherhood) by Chana Weisberg. If you like her earlier book - I'm sure you'll like this one too (esp. in a year or 2)

I really loved "Baby Blues" too (the comic strip not the hormones)

Michal said...

LOL you and Jonathan are just officially wimps. :)

And yes, I'm sure I will like her book! I'll have to check it out soon. "Baby Blues" is cute, but I haven't seen it in a while... the downside to not getting the paper.

Sheryl said...

on of my favorite strips that has stuck in my mind is when you see Wanda pregnant saying "My children will never watch tv"
then you see her with toddlers saying "My children can watch a few carefully chosen educational shows" and then finally with pre-schoolers and she's yelling "SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE TV SO I CAN GET SOMETHING DONE!"

or something like that :-)

Michal said...

Haha oh I giggle now but I'm sure there's a scary amount of truth in that...