Friday, April 18, 2008

Ode to Sheryl

Ah! Librarian of knowledge,
of wisdom,
of power.
Thank thee in spades for recommending books to my mom
so that mine library can be enhanced and fulfilled.
The joys of Buber, of Rosensweig, of Idelsohn
never shall again pass me by.
The importance of JPS commentaries
cannot be overestimated
nor can the beauty of Millgram and history resource texts.
The spines sit on my shelves ever so sweetly.
Like children aching to be let out to play
they wait for their moment of grandeur and citation.
In the words of dear friend William,
from the mouth of Prospero,
"Knowing I lov'd my books, [s]he furnish'd me
From [her] own library with volumes that
I prize above my dukedom."

Thank thee, thank thee, thank thee, and may thy Shabbat and Pesach be blessed.

1 comment:

Sheryl said...

OMG! I've never had an "ode" written to me before! You're more than welcome. I'm glad that the books and Jan all arrived safely. Have a wonderful visit. If you get to the zoo, tell the red panda "hi" from me (they're my favorite)