Sunday, November 18, 2007

Ode to (upcoming) winter

You know how in LA there are like ten freeways, all with eight lanes each way with lots of accidents, and it's sunny all the time? Here, not so much. On both counts. The weather report on the radio this morning was longer than the traffic report. I giggled.

I must say, I have been cold lately. This does not bode well for future months. So for the very first time in my life, I went inside a Dick's Sporting Goods store and a Kohl's. I now own fuzzy gloves with "Thinsulate insulation," a snowboarder's hat with a "pull-down face and neck warmer" and a thick North Face jacket. None of these names meant anything to me two days ago, but people at HUC nodded sagely and seemed to know the brands well.

Also in honor of winter, I got motorcycle chaps! They were almost 50% off, and I feel SO much warmer than before. That combined with the beautifully effective $10 silk liners for my gloves, and I'm all set! We took pictures of each of us in our gear... notice my fancy new helmet, which some of you may not have seen before.

Other motorcycle gear pics can be found here.

In non-weather-related news, I feel like we're finally building a real community. Maura and I spent nine hours together today, and we weren't sick of each other (study group gone bad). And last night Jonathan and I hung out with Sarah and Chris, and time flew with them, too - before we knew it it was already midnight, and we still had more to say. Hooray for friends!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lookin' good in your winter-bike wardrobes. Do you have warm inner-lined boots for the snows to come?
Savta

Michal said...

Not yet. But we do have hiking boots. I think those will be a last-minute purchase as we need them.

Tara said...

you look soooo cute! :)

Michal said...

Thanks, Tara!

Mara said...

omg Michal. i've never been more attracted to you. ;)

Michal said...

*grin*

Anonymous said...

If my childhood rabbi had looked like YOU do, I'm sure I would have wanted to go to services more often! I LOVE what the 21st century rabbi looks like!
Love you,
Mom

Sheryl said...

Great new outfit!
For the winter, you should also outfit your car. Put a blanket and a couple of bags of kitty litter in the trunk (not a joke! so if you get stuck on snow/ice - you can spread it out for traction and then use what's left in the spring for the cats)

Michal said...

Hahaha, thanks Mom!

And Sheryl - what a great idea, I'd never thought of that! We'll do so immediately.