Saturday, October 13, 2007

Scary Shabbat

Last night I joined Jonathan and about ten of his coworkers and their spouses at Kings Island, a 30-acre themepark. His boss had arranged for a free ticket for everyone under her jurisdiction as a "team building" exercise. It was great fun - we all went out to dinner at about 5:30, then showed up at the park at about 8pm for their "Halloween Haunt," in which nobody under 12 years old was admitted. Think Knott's Scary Farm, with fog machines and monsters wandering around and mazes with scary surprises hidden within. I definitely screamed a few times, but so did other people, so it was okay.

It's funny, on Thursday I'd been walking to the local coffee shop with a couple of HUC classmates, and I was saying how my social group was split in two: HUC people and Jonathan's work people. And it's so true; the conversations last night were so completely divergent from any HUC conversation that it was almost surreal. At HUC talk usually revolves around intricacies of Torah, Talmud, prayer, dealing with teachers, renting apartments, our childhoods and parents and siblings. With Jonathan's coworkers the conversations are on *raising* children, football and sports, dealing with bosses, mortgages, the medical industry, business mergers, politics and movies.

At HUC I feel older than many students, and among Jonathan's work group I feel younger and much less experienced in life (which I am, chronologically, since most of his work peers are in their 40s). Nobody's said anything about my youth directly, but it's easily apparent in conversations like "Yeah, I worked at King's Island in high school, in the 80's" (*looks at me and smiles*). I really do think it's good though, that we split our time between both social circles - it helps me branch out and not be "rabbinic" all the time, adds diversity to both of our lives, and exposes us to Cincinnati culture in a way that isn't apparent through HUC.

When we got home at 1:30am, the cats were *very* happy to see us. They came to the door to say hello, then, when we didn't do anything interesting, decided to go back to sleep. I think they take "cute" lessons at night when we're not here. How else can you explain it?


By the way, this is "off" position. When they're not sleeping they're jumping on bookshelves, wrestling, playing with cat toys, or running around the house playing tag. According to Kelly, the wife of one of Jonathan's coworkers, this greatly resembles her 5 and 7 year old, who are either asleep or making havoc. Apparently there's no gray area. So I guess the kitties really are good kid practice! In this picture Osher's on top, Simcha's on the bottom.

P.S. Did I mention that it was 41 degrees last night? That's nine degrees above freezing. I was bundled up in my warmest clothing and was still cold. Just shoot me come winter.

P.P.S. Shout-out to Elisa - so glad you're here! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you pointed out, you've got the best of both worlds -- the zipped up cocoon of HUC, and the wide- wild-wildernss of corporate- Americana-Ohio.

I am fascinated by the differing subject matter of conversation in those two worlds. You're provided with a well-balanced diet of
intellectual variety and stimulation.

And you're right again...the kitties are good training for kiddies to come. But they really are sooooo adorable!

Brace yourself, baby. Winter is yet to come!

Yer Summer-lovin' Savta

Sheryl said...

Have you turned the heat on? We usually tried to hold out till after Halloween to kick on the furnace. There were a few Fall's though that we decided that "blue" wasn't the best look on each other and turned it on sooner.