Sunday, October 14, 2007

Man Shabbat

A couple of weeks ago, my darling wife was in Mattoon, Illinois leading Shabbat services. That left me alone to fend for myself that Shabbat. I called Jeffery as his fiance is out of town as well and collaborated with him in doing a "Man Shabbat."

So here's Shabbat, man style: I pulled out a couple of giant flares I got at the fireworks store in Indiana, a 2-liter jug of "Newman's Own" grape juice, and a pair of twisted garlic cheese sticks. We went out to the back driveway behind my house, lit the flares and sang the blessing. In the multi-colored sparkling glow, Jeffery popped open the jug and we sang the blessing over the "wine." We then pulled out the garlic cheese sticks and sang the motze. This was then all followed up by Jeffery and I lighting a bunch of questionably legal fireworks in my backyard. It was glorious.

To polish off the night we watched the movie "Transformers" on my DVD player. Which I later found out hasn't been released to DVD yet. I've decided not to pursue how Jeffery got a hold of a copy.

Oh... and we drank beer too.

So, all you females reading this are probably thinking that this is not unlike a Shabbat that a 14 year-old boy would plan, and you are probably right. Most things men think are cool are very similar to what 14 year-old boys would think are cool, except men involve more beer in their arrangements. I like to think that men figure out what is important at an earlier age than women.

The Reform movement is totally befuddled why there are so few men participating in the Jewish communities. If you want men involved, the answer is simple: just involve more incendiaries.

Yo, Shabbat Shalom.

Shabbat candles

3 comments:

Sheryl said...

ROTFLOL!!

Anonymous said...

Is there a translation in the house?
Savta

Michal said...

Rolling on the floor laughing out loud.