Sunday, August 19, 2007

Picnics and prayerbooks

I start school tomorrow, yay! I’ve got the back-to-school itch. They’ve got us booked pretty solid this week, with dinners and BBQs and lunches and too many seminars and High Holy Day prep sessions to count (which is a good thing, as I need all the help I can get!). Jonathan’s going to get to work early so he can leave a bit before 5, and come to all the evening events with me.

Today was the "Shalom Cincy Newcomer’s Picnic," put on by the local Jewish Federation. We schmoozed, ate hot dogs, and met lots of new people. Then we did a very new-age couple-y thing: Carri, Scott, the baby and myself and Jonathan all went shopping together! We hit Costco, Target, Petsmart, and Michael’s, then treated ourselves to bagels at Marx Bagels. I love the suburbs; all the shops are in one area.

It’s a sad but true fact that I’m hopeless at home repairs and such. Jonathan, however, is not, and his honey-do list is slowly ebbing (yay window blinds are fixed!) Also, the projector and surround sound is now up and running. We celebrated by watching Top Gun, the most guy-type-sonic-boom movie ever made. I saw Volver, which I thought was amazing. (It must be stated again, I’m in love with Netflix.) I’ve been on a movie kick for some reason, maybe cuz of impending school. Either way, I haven’t read any fun books at ALL in the past week (Bible Prophets: Books Three and Self Guided Hineni: Hebrew Through Prayer don’t count).

In serious news, Jonathan’s mother had back surgery and it didn’t go very well. She was in rehab for the past week and a half but is now back in the hospital again. Everyone please think good thoughts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking good thoughts and sending best wishes for a robust recovery.
Savta

Joseph Ben Dov said...

Hey Michal, it's joe. I hope jonathan's mother gets better. Good luck with school.

Janet said...

Please tell Liz that I hope her condition improves and that she is out of the hospital and feeling better soon.
Mom

Michal said...

Thanks everyone. Liz is doing marginally better - we'll keep you updated.

And Joe - long time no talk! How are you doing?!