Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Midway through the first week

My Bible teacher talks a mile a minute, and wants us to outline the entire Torah (aka 5 books of Moses, aka Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy) by the end of the semester.

The Biblical Grammar prof is a grad student who got into languages because she plays piano. We ask so many grammar-ignorant questions that we're already behind in the syllabus (after two days), but she laughs and likes us anyway.

My history prof is the only ordained rabbi who has a full professorial chair in the New Testament. He was one of seven people to read the screenplay of The Passion of the Christ before it came out. After he wrote his critique, Mel Gibson promptly sued him. (The suit was later dropped).

The woman who teaches Hebrew literature is reminiscent of every other English professor I've ever had. That will be the easiest, most familiar class, if anything because we started it off by discussing the definition of "canon."

My Rabbinics/Mishnah class is at 8am, so even though the history part looks interesting, it's early in the morning. And there's lots of primary Hebrew text. That's all I have to say about that.

I also have the PDE classes (Professional Development) of Education (how to be an effective teacher) and Life Cycles (mentioned previously with the current work on funerals).

All in all, my classmates are nice, the teachers are fun, and the work doesn't seem so overwhelming. I'm really excited!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for introducing me to all your profs, and for letting me dip my mental toes into the pool of knowledge into which you're diving head first!
Your overwhelmed Savta

Michal said...

You're so welcome, Savta. I'll give you all copies of my papers again. Though they'll probably be lacking this semester, in favor of Hebrew-English biblical translations.