Thursday, August 16, 2007

Musings from a city girl

- Jonathan and I were eating dinner on the picnic table in the backyard when we saw some flashing dots. They were spinning wildly, and looked like a torch was lit ever-so-briefly. “Fireflies!” we realized.

- Walking in a part of town called Mt. Adams, we went near to the church (highest part of the mountain). And guess what was hanging from the doorways in the church? Bats.

- Today I spent all afternoon hanging out with Lisa (Tony, Jonathan’s coworker’s wife), and her two kids (6 and 9). We went to the community pool, and I dived, swam, played with the kids, and ate cherries and cheese sandwiches. I was also introduced to a whole new culture – moms and their kids at the pool on summer vacation. When we got back to Lisa and Tony’s house, we were sitting in their (huge) backyard talking and what do we see, standing not 30 yards from us? A mom and baby deer. “Oh yeah,” said Lisa casually, "the baby was born in the woodpile on our neighbor’s property.” For the first time in my life, I saw a deer in the wild. I also “smelled” a storm coming, and experienced thunder and lightning right before the rain hit.

This whole weather-wildlife thing is really miraculous. I can’t wait for fall, I’m told it’s beautiful.

2 comments:

Sheryl said...

Funny that you should mention fireflies. I really noticed the lack of them here in SoCal and miss them. Of course I noticed the lack of humidity too and don't complain too much about the trade-off :-)

We used to see deer once in a great while when we lived in Pleasant Ridge. You hear on the radio once in a while about car accidents involving deer too.

Anonymous said...

I'm quite simply jealous. The humidity never really bothered me but I so miss the change of seasons. Fireflies are still magical. Deer were common in the seminary as were flocks of canadian geese on the soccer fields. The fall leaves just can't be reproduced west of the mississippi nor south of Kentucky. Be wary of ticks! I don't envy you the misquito season though that will come with the snow thaw in March!!!