Thursday, October 21, 2010

Lovely things to share

My adult ed evening class is over! I REALLY enjoy teaching it, but at the same time it's so much extra lesson planning and time away from home, it's hard. So tonight I'm going nowhere, we're all going to sit around and carve our pumpkin.

I picked a thesis advisor for next year. And the first part of a topic. I want to look at a philosophical theme like "fate" or "soul" and see how it's applied in Greek pagan texts, rabbinic texts, Christian texts, and Philo (first Jewish philosopher to meld Greek phil with Judaism). I don't know what the topic will be yet, but it will be FUN!

And last but not least, my family is beyond adorable. When Xander kept asking for that one last bedtime story, my husband said no, stories were over, it was time for bed. But Xander looked SO disappointed that Jonathan said he would tell him a story instead. The story consisted of a little boy who didn't want to go to bed, so he stayed up late late late until he finally fell asleep when the cat came to snuggle with him. But he was so tired and grumpy the next day he couldn't enjoy seeing the school bus or the train or any other fun things that his mommy and daddy took him to. He had to go to bed early the next night because he was so tired and grumpy! Finally he saw the wisdom of bedtime and decided that sleep was his friend after all. You should have SEEN Xander in all this... he was nodding along vehemently in sympathy with this mysterious little boy in the story, and then listened so intently to the last part, that when Jonathan finished, he lay right down with his bear and didn't put up any fuss. I wanted to cheer for both of them.

6 comments:

Janet said...

Can you see how broadly I'm smiling???? What a terrific family you are!!!
Love,
Mom/Bubby

hollydlr said...

Where is the "like" button!? A+ parenting there, Jonathan!

Anonymous said...

Kol HaKavod and Bravo, Jonathan!!
Your story resonated with Xander's innermost senses. His behavior wasn't criticized, his character not scrutinized or judged; his self-esteem remained intact and robust. All the story dealt with were the CONSEQUENCES. So Xander could figure that one out: He was in charge, he had control. He had the power to create situations which would have unpleasent consequences or he could prevent them. IT'S ALL UP TO ME! That's the message you gave him. Wow! There are no courses on Fatherhood but if there were, you could teach it.

I'm so happy for all of you,
Savta

Anonymous said...

That's the most awesome bedtime story ever :-D

Also, I have a good friend who is attending a pagan seminary (actually he's on the board of directors too) so if you want I can get you in touch with him for help locating pagan resources for your thesis when you get to that point :)
-Cynthia

Anonymous said...

That's the most awesome bedtime story ever :-D

Also, I have a good friend who is attending a pagan seminary (actually he's on the board of directors too) so if you want I can get you in touch with him for help locating pagan resources for your thesis when you get to that point :)
-Cynthia

Michal said...

Cynthia, that sounds like an awesome idea! I will most definitely take you up on that offer. What seminary is this? I didn't even know they *had* pagan seminaries...