Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Six random things for your edification and amusement

1) Xander has two more front teeth coming in! This helps with the eating. And eat he does... bananas, pasta, cheese, crackers, apples, chicken fingers, you name it, he eats it. He must be on a growth spurt.

2) Thanks to said growth spurt, he's been sleeping 11 to 12 hours at a time. Can you see me doing my happy dance?

3) I read up on Samaritans because of the manuscript in the library (and because I was confused on Sheryl's comment on reading the language). They officially dated the manuscript to 1145 CE! The Samaritans are people in Israel who live as Biblical, and not rabbinic Jews (meaning they don't follow anything that the Talmud decreed, so they don't have the holidays of Hanukkah, they don't keep kosher, etc). Did you know that they used a paleo-Hebrew script, instead of the standard Aramaic script that we consider to be the Hebrew letters? I didn't know that before. The Encyclopedia Judaica article on it is quite boring, but Wikipedia has pretty pictures to explain.

4) Jonathan and I rented the Steve Martin movie Parenthood, and we sooo related. Then we felt old. :)

5) We recently celebrated our five year anniversary, yes? As of yesterday, I scrapbooked our wedding. I figured it was time. :)

6) And last but certainly not least - we've been trying to save money on utilities, but it was 58 degrees in our kitchen tonight when we were eating dinner. And would you believe, that baby just did NOT want to wear his hat. Jonathan finally caved to my demands and we turned on the heat. It's up to a whopping 65 and we're still bundled up, but ooohhhh it feels practically toasty...

6 comments:

Chana P said...

aaaaand
7) Xander said mama!!!! :) Yes - your mother fills me in on these things :)
Sorry I missed your call today - was in class and then off to Hebrew School until about 20 min ago.
Hope all is well and I'll call you tomorrow!
-C

Michal said...

LOL who needs a blog when you have my mom?! :)

I wasn't posting that yet cuz I'm still not convinced it's not a fluke... hopefully he'll say it again soon.

Please do call, you know where to find me.

Janet said...

Did you know that Chana is my madricha for 8th grade? I get so see her every week! And she's terrific btw. What an asset to the class. And, yes, I've told her so in person. :-)
Mom

Sheryl said...

Jan! what about your 7th grade madrikhah? (just kidding)

Michal -that's funny about the Samaritan, because after I looked at your links, I realized that I had been confusing it with Syriac.

But what did the manuscript look like? and what is the text?

Sheryl said...

We used to play a "game" every year and see if we could hold out til Halloween before turning on the heat - we hardly ever "won"

We did put plastic up over most of our windows to cut down on drafts. And invested in thick fuzzy slipper socks.

Chana P said...

don't be too too eager to have him say it again! My first word was mama, and it drove my mom up the wall... at night I would only scream for her, and not my dad... not so fun lol.

g'shabbos!