Saturday, January 24, 2009

Addendum to inauguration post

After speaking with Nicole, I just found out that HUC-Cincinnati isn't as cool as I thought. My philosophy professor cancelled class, yes, but he had to be asked to do so. Apparently at HUC-NY the school rearranged its whole schedule so that everyone could watch the inauguration together. And Sheryl told me that HUC-LA even provided food! Hmph.

Also, in terms of books to read, do NOT pick up The Passion of Artemisia. As anyone who follows this blog knows, I like historical fiction. The premise of this one sounded good, about the 17th century Baroque painter Artemesia Gentileschi. I remember learning about her in art history classes in college, she was a feminist icon, the first woman to be accepted into the Academy of Drawing in Florence. She left her husband and earned her own way at a time when that wasn't done, and she was friends with Galileo and the Medicis. But the book watered her down into a two-dimensional rape victim with Daddy issues. To make matters worse, it wasn't even especially well-written. I read the whole thing and kept expecting it to get better, but it never did. The good news: at least it was only a dollar at Half-Price Books!

2 comments:

Chana P said...

well, no matter what, your school is still cooler than my school. For us, it totally depended on the teacher. Thank G-d almighty that I have a liberal Jewish History teacher, or I might not have gotten to see it! My friend Renata actually stormed out of her English class (which got her in considerable trouble) because the teacher (an uber-conservative) wouldn't let anyone watch it.
Such is the life of a HAL student

Michal said...

poor you! alright, i won't complain anymore.