Monday, August 25, 2008

Weekend amusement

1) Jonathan had his big work project this weekend, so was down for the count on Saturday. While he was sleeping in from his all-nighter, I went to Aaron and Lauren's to help them move. Me "helping" was even less helpful than at Jessica and Michael's. I carried one empty drawer up the stairs, and that was it. Literally, one drawer. And as a reward? They gave me a whole pizza to take home that was leftover from lunch. So basically, I did no work, and got like three free meals. Then, Sunday was the temple open house and teacher inservice. What did they serve for lunch? The exact same pizza - same brand, same toppings - that I took home from Aaron and Lauren's. I love life. :)

2) I am so obviously from LA. You know what frustrates me the most about driving in Cincinnati? People here go the speed limit! Always! Even when it's little things like the limit on a freeway off-ramp is 25 mph and could easily be taken at 40 because mph off-ramp signs are always conservative... people will SLOW DOWN to 20 mph. Just in case. I consider myself a pretty cautious driver usually, and especially since I've been pregnant, but this is driving me nuts. Bad pun intended.

3) We had dinner with Dave and Elbie, and Elbie made her special quesadillas. I had previously thought that my stomach was shrinking, because I've been eating much smaller meals than I had been. It is now officially proven that I was wrong.. it is the same size it always was, it just apparently needed to be forced open a bit. Quesadillas and then pie and ice cream for dessert were just the thing to do so. Why, oh why, would one stop eating when there is such yummy food in the world?

4) Sometimes Jonathan and my Netflix movies are beyond gendered. Case in point: I watched "Caramel," a Lebanese movie in Arabic about four women working at a hair salon and their relationships. Jonathan watched "No Country for Old Men,"which may have won an Oscar but was uber-violent. We both saw about 10 minutes of the other's movie and walked out!

5) And one last, really good thing.... we visited Nick and Christie (Nick works with Jonathan) to see their newborn twins. Which was fine. But you should also know that they have a 4 year old plus another set of 2-year old twins. That's five children under the age of five! I was worried about going over to their house, thinking that I would feel overwhelmed and really un-ready for baby things. But guess what happened? Absolutely NOTHING. The infants were adorable and slept like the dead while the three older ones were relatively well-behaved. Apparently someone up there knows I couldn't have handled chaos, and so it all worked out. Thank goodness. Otherwise I might be having serious Wiggle issues. So a question for all you parents: when did you become confident in your parenting abilities (assuming you did at some point)? Right now it's seeming highly scary to be responsible for a little person's life. Instead of a college fund maybe we should start a therapy fund instead...

1 comment:

Sheryl said...

You California drivers! Actually, that drove me crazy too (so to speak) but at the other end of the spectrum - even when it rained/snowed/or sleeted people go the speed limit instead of driving slower!