Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Jumping over fences to pet kangaroos

Before my wife (Michal, as if you don't know) met me, she was dating this other guy who we will call NJB. NJB was a nice Jewish boy. He was in fact very very nice, which is why Michal was dating him. That said, there was something missing, but she didn't know what it was which is why she kept dating him.

One day, while on tour in Australia with him, they saw some kangaroos on the other side of a fence. Michal wanted to pet the kangaroo, as she had traveled a long way and wasn't likely to have another opportunity to do so for some time. However, there was a sign on the fence that said not to climb it and NJB wasn't going to disregard it for the sake of an impulsive pet. Michal, however, jumped the fence, leaving NJB behind and petted the kangaroo. It was at that moment that she knew what was missing in her relationship with NJB.

Today one of my coworkers spotted some tents set up in our parking lot. It was a free cookout for all Siemens employees. There were booths from Sprint giving away free foldable Frisbees and containers of mints away, a booth that displayed the Siemens-sponsored NASCAR race car, but most importantly a buffet of burgers, hotdogs, cookies, cakes, and Coke! Score!!!

The only hitch was it was for Siemens employees only and I'm an Anthem employee. Now, the other two team members I was with were having hesitations about crossing into enemy territory for food, but I saw that there was no one checking for ID badges, so I suggested we move forward and liberate some edibles. So, with me in the lead we forged ahead and filled our supplied paper plates with the food offered. I have to say, it was one of the best burgers I had in a long time.

Sometimes you have to say, "Screw the sign, let's pet some kangaroos."

No comments: