Tuesday, July 31, 2007

15 Billion and Counting

I have a new job. I work for Anthem/Wellpoint. You may not recognize those names, but you probably know the names Blue Cross and Blue Shield. They own them. I have worked for a lot of start-up companies, the most recent start-up I worked for was a company called Med-E-Com. They had aspirations to go public, that is, to get to a point where they could offer shares in their company to be publicly traded, allowing a company to grow dramatically. They never did. My experience with start-up companies has been so bad, I vowed I would never work for another small start-up company again.

Anthem just released their annual report as required of any publicly traded company. The report states that the company made over 15 billion in revenue.

OVER 15 @#$@% BILLION!!

Okay, even I have to say I have over-achieved this goal.

This is especially good because as an employee I get a percentage of the profits from the company each year. Based on past results, this will likely be around four digits. I am really beginning to like this company.

I know, I know, I'm working for the man. But the man pays really d**n well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I hope you will continue to like your job for a long time to come; the company is offering important services. I'm not sure what your snide is about working for "the man." If "the man" is the government, I'm all for it. I'm proud of our government even if it has fallen into the wrong hands for the last six years. Except for salmon, I'm not terribly impressed about those who swim against the tide.
yer Savta, who sometimes sticks pins in balloons

Sheryl said...

HUC just moved all the employees to Anthem. We haven't been on it long enough to know if it was a good move or not.

Profit sharing huh? I'm glad HUC doesn't have that - otherwise we would have to pay them every year. :-)