Monday, June 4, 2012

Liminal moments

This week has been full of them.

Monday my dad arrived from Israel.

Tuesday I officiated at my new cousin's baby naming in Cleveland.  Welcome to the world, Viola Rose!

Wednesday was a day to breathe, to realize what was going to happen.  And to go to the toy store with my family: Xander thought that Sabba's gift of a marble run was the best toy ever.

Thursday was ordination rehearsal, and mom's arrival.

Friday Robin, Antonio and Holly came in.  I and my classmates met with Rabbi Rick Jacobs, the president of the URJ.  We then met with Rabbi David Ellenson, the president of HUC-JIR.  We heard Rabbi Sally Priesand, the first ordained woman rabbi 40 years ago, speak to us as colleagues at a lovely Friday night service.  Dinner afterwards was full of love, laughter, and incredulity.

Saturday was ordination.  How to describe it?  Beauty.  Emotion.  Hebrew prayers.  Standing in front of the ark with Rabbi Ellenson, hearing him say, "I now ordain you as a rabbi of the people of Israel." Crying. More crying.  Xander being upset I was gone so much and telling me, "I don't want you to be a rabbi mommy.  Just be mommy."  Lunch at a fabulous Italian restaurant with 30 of my nearest and dearest.  Playing in the backyard with all the kids in the late afternoon.  Robin heading home.  Going to bed and not having it be real yet.

Sunday, taking my dad to the airport.  Playing at the park.  Holly leaving.  Watching movies with Antonio.  Being granted an award at Graduation for "successfully implementing the most effective congregational project in Education," for starting the religious school in my last student pulpit.  Talking on the phone with Nicole L. and realizing that this feeling of liminality is going to last a while. 

And today?  Antonio leaving.  Knowing that it is June 4th, 2012 - Jonathan and my eighth anniversary.  Recognizing what that means.  Also recognizing that I move in less than two weeks, and  doing practical things to help make that happen.

What an amazing, fulfilling, joyous whirlwind these days have been.  I feel so blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May you go from strength to strength!
sheryl