Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The emotional wringer

You know that old adage that the decision to have children is the decision to have your heart forever walk about outside your body?

Jonathan and I spent the better part of tonight at Cincinnati Children's Hospital with Ari.  He had eaten a small foil star, part of a Hanukkah decoration, that had fallen on the floor when we weren't looking.  His reaction was textbook: bouts of vomiting, choking, gagging, crying, etc.  God bless Maura and Liad, who raced over immediately to take care of Xander so Jonathan and I could go to the ER together.  After a few hours the doctors were able to fish the "offending foreign body" out of his throat and the X-rays showed that all was clear.  But it was scary.  I am so grateful that he's okay, and for the kind and caring nurses, doctors, and technicians who helped bring my baby back to health.


And to think that I'd been worried about rabbinic placement.  Nothing like a night in the hospital to put one's priorities in perspective.

6 comments:

Janet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janet said...

You bring tears to my eyes simply by living who you are. Michal, your values and integrity fills and overflow every space you occupy. I wish I could be more like you.

And thank God that Ari is okay. He couldn't have been in better hands.....yours, Jonathan's, and those wonderful, caring people at Children's.

I hold you close and tenderly.

Mom

Sheryl said...

I'm so glad to hear that Ari is ok and that you had a support system in place to help you deal with Xander.

We've gotten great care at Childrens'. But I hope you never have to rush there again!
lots of love,
sheryl

Rebecca said...

So scary- glad Ari is okay!

Michal said...

Thanks all!

hollydlr said...

Poor Ari, and poor Mommy and Daddy! Glad all is well now and its great to have perspective too!