Monday, June 23, 2008

The weekend in writing

Saturday I finished Labrinth by Kate Mosse, about the very first Christian Crusade in 1200s France. It went back and forth between the stories of the modern day and the Middle Ages, and I thought that the historical part set in the past was much stronger than the present. Maybe that's because I like history more though, the 2005 plotline was more of a mystery.

We also sold the bike! I won't write much on that besides to say *sniff.* I miss it already.

Sunday was a whirlwind. We went to the wedding of the daughter of one of Jonathan's coworkers. It was the first time I'd ever been to a wedding where I'd never met the bride or groom, but was invited as a friend of the parents. It felt very odd (as in, when did we get to be such adults?). But it was fun - we sat at the "work" table with people from Jonathan's department and their spouses, all of whom I knew, and chatted about everything from work to babies to the weird weather (the lights went out twice at the reception from the storm).

Then we drove straight from the reception in Indiana to Jessica's birthday party. Chocolate cake, fruit salad, and good company abounded. In a way it was jarring to transfer so quickly between my two social worlds (J's work friends and HUC). But after a few minutes I eased in again, and went from talking about computer jargon to classes. The funniest part was when we first walked in and an HUC spouse who I haven't seen in months pointed to my belly and literally said "WOW! Look at THAT!" Sandra, his wife, put her head in her hands and mumbled how she was just married to him but took no responsibility for anything he said. Jonathan tells me I blushed beet red.

Unfortunately I think I may have overdone it a bit, because now I'm feeling achy so am staying home sick. I also downloaded pictures from the camera, below. None from the wedding though, sorry. They sucked.

No comments: