Wednesday, June 18, 2008

New job responsibilities

Work is getting even better. I really like listening to the tapes, but I'm so visual that it's hard to concentrate aurally all day. So I asked if there was anything else I could do to break it up - and they gave me something awesome! I'm going to be doing actual archival work. E.g. my boss gave me a big box filled with paper relating to the history of one specific new synagogue, and then I organize it, write up a detailed description, and put it online. For an example, go to the American Jewish Archives and click on Major Manuscript Collections/Synagogues. I'll be organizing them along the lines of the one by Rockdale Temple (which I picked as an example purely because it's where I teach). Jonathan thinks I'm insane and that this is intensely boring, but I really like organizing, history, and Judaism, so I think it's a perfect match.

I also got a tour today of the Archives plus the collection from the rare book room from the library (it's being held in the Archives while the library is under construction). I saw a handwritten letter from the l800s from Isaac Mayer Wise, one of the founders of American Reform Judaism, proposing that they build a "Jewish theological university." His idea later became Hebrew Union College. Then later on, in the rare book section, I saw a first edition of a printed Hebrew Bible from the 1500s. The binding was incredible.

What else? Oh, I got last semester's grades. I did well. Though I'm amused that I received a "NG" (no grade) in one of my classes. I found out that other classmates received this grade as well - I'm starting to think the prof just didn't turn in his grades on time!

Oh yes, and we took Simcha and Osher to the vet for their annual checkup. They're both fine, but Simcha needs his teeth cleaned. And the estimate is over $300 for anaesthesia, cleaning, X-rays, and possible tooth extraction. My goodness, children are expensive. Why are we having a human one again?!

6 comments:

Jessica:) said...

I'm missing a good week at the AJA! Heard back from the NG prof: "I think that it is a mistake," he says. I'll let you know more if I find out anything useful!

Anonymous said...

hey there michal and jonathan,,, this is michelle from australia,,, yes we get cicadas alot during the summer months here and the din from them can be deafening,, they also shed their outer skin near the end of the heated months,,, and yes they are decidedly bigger than june bugs,,, hope to hear when wiggly is born and hope all goes well for you,, take care and keep in touch,,, thanks

Mara said...

the archives sound like a magical world...seriously! so cool!

Sheryl said...

So have you seen the light and decided to become a librarian or archivist? I know the RBR collection in Cincy is awesome. Do you see Dan, the librarian, around? if so, give him my regards.

Chana P said...

hmmm. Perhaps this explains why I signed on to gmail this morning and you weren't there! lol.
Best of luck!
-C

Anonymous said...

Mara, you took the words right out of my mouth!!!!

Now speechless Savta